Biomedical Systems II
Course given by
Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin Hexamer
Hours per week
Click here to go to
The lecture presents the physiological basics of other organ systems and deals with medical devices/procedures for diagnosis/therapy of related diseases.
Lecture contents are:
- Basics of the measurement of biopotentials (electrodes, differential amplifiers, instrument amplifiers, isolation, filtering, interference suppression).
- Influencing body functions with neuronal or muscular electrostimulation: Stimulation of the skeletal muscle, cardiac pacemakers, defibrillators, bladder and brain stimulation.
- Basics of kidney function: anatomy, filtration, resorption, secretion, involvement in blood volume/ blood pressure regulation. Some essential aspects of hemodialysis are presented.
- Notes on the salt-water and acid-base balance.
- Functions of blood, measurement of haemoglobin content and oxygen saturation (pulse oximetry).
- Nutrition and energy balance: nutrients and food components, energy balance, measurement of energy expenditure.
- Basics of working physiology: adaptations of the autonomic nervous system, the cardiovascular system and respiration, effects of training, performance tests.
- Temperature physiology: heat generation, heat transfer, heat balance, temperature regulation, hyperthermia, hypothermia, fever.
- Visual system: Structure of the eye, dioptic apparatus, aberrations, transduction and transformation, light-dark adaptation, notes on neuronal processing.
- Hearing: structure of the ear, sound conduction, transduction and transformation, notes on neuronal processing.
- Critical care: ventilation, anaesthesia, anaesthesia, heart-lung machine, ECMO, cardiac support systems.
First lesson is on
First excercise is on
Type of exam
Duration of exam
Registration for the exam
On the basis of 'Biomedical Systems I', the students have expanded their basic medical/physiological knowledge and become acquainted with other medical technology procedures in this second part of the lecture.
Basic Lectures, Biomedical Systems I
- Werner, Jürgen “Biomedizinische Technik – Automatisierte Therapiesysteme”, De Gruyter Oldenbourg Verlag, 2014
- Webster, John G. “Medical Instrumentation Application and Design”, Wiley & Sons, 2009
- Kramme, Rüdiger “Medizintechnik”, Springer, 2017
- Leonhardt, Steffen, Walter, Marian “Medizintechnische Systeme”, Springer, 2016
- Kurtz, Armin, Pape, Hans-Christian, Silbernagl, Stefan “Physiologie”, Thieme, 2019
- Brandes, Rolf, Lang, Florian, Schmidt, Robert F. “Physiologie des Menschen: mit Pathophysiologie”, Springer, 2019
The lecture is organized via Moodle. The password for self-enrollment is "EKG". The introductory event will take place on Thursday, 04/06/2023, starting 12 am in ID 04/413. In the introductory event you will receive all further information and the passwords for the lecture notes.