In the following, we inform you about the processing of personal data when using the website www.mt.rub.de. Personal data is any data that can be related to you personally. Other conditions may apply on other pages of Ruhr University Bochum.
Name and address of the person responsible
The responsible person within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation and other national data protection laws of the member states as well as other data protection provisions:
Phone: +49 234 32 201
Fax: +49 234 32 14201
General information on data processing
1. Scope of the processing of personal data
As a matter of principle, we collect and use personal data of our users only insofar as this is necessary for the provision of a functional website as well as our contents and services. The collection and use of our users’ personal data regularly only takes place with the user’s consent. An exception applies in those cases in which it is not possible to obtain prior consent for actual reasons and the processing of the data is permitted by legal regulations.
2. Legal basis for the processing of personal data
Insofar as we obtain the consent of the data subject for processing operations involving personal data, Article 6 (1) lit. a of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) serves as the legal basis.
Insofar as the processing of personal data is necessary for the performance of our tasks which is in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority, Art. 6 (1) lit. e DSGVO serves as the legal basis.
3. Data deletion and storage period
The personal data of the data subject shall be deleted or blocked as soon as the purpose of the storage no longer applies. Storage may also take place if this has been provided for by the European or national legislator in Union regulations, laws or other provisions to which the person responsible is subject. The data will also be blocked or deleted if a storage period prescribed by the aforementioned standards expires, unless there is a necessity for the continued storage of the data for the conclusion or fulfilment of a contract.
Provision of the website and creation of log files
1. Description and scope of data processing
Each time our website is accessed and each time a file is retrieved from the RUB website, our system automatically records data and information from the computer system of the accessing computer.
The following data is collected:
- Information about the browser type and version used
- The operating system of the user
- The user’s internet service provider
- The IP address of the user
- Date and time of access
- Websites from which the user’s system accesses our website
- Websites that are accessed by the user’s system via our website
The data is also stored in the log files of our system. This data is not stored together with other personal data of the user.
2. Purpose of the data processing and legal basis
The temporary storage of the IP address by the system is necessary to enable delivery of the website to the user’s computer. For this purpose, the user’s IP address must remain stored for the duration of the session.
The storage in log files is done to ensure the functionality of the website. In addition, we use the data to optimise the website and to ensure the security of our information technology systems. An evaluation of the data for marketing purposes does not take place in this context.
The legal basis for the temporary storage of the data and the log files is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. e DSGVO.
3. Duration of the storage
The data is deleted as soon as it is no longer required to achieve the purpose for which it was collected. In the case of the collection of data for the provision of the website, this is the case when the respective session has ended.
In the case of storage of data in log files, this is the case after 24 hours at the latest. Storage beyond this period is possible. In this case, the IP addresses of the users are deleted or alienated so that an assignment of the calling client is no longer possible.
4. Possibility of objection and removal
The collection of data for the provision of the website and the storage of the data in log files is absolutely necessary for the operation of the website. Consequently, there is no possibility for the user to object.
1. Description and scope of data processing
The following data is stored and transmitted in the cookies:
- Preferred font size
- Preferred contrast version
- Preferred language
- Logged in to the system (only for editorial/administration)
- Expiry date
The user data collected in this way is pseudonymised by technical precautions. Therefore, it is no longer possible to assign the data to the calling user. The data is not stored together with other personal data of the users.
2. Purpose of the data processing and legal basis
The user data collected through technically necessary cookies are not used to create user profiles.
Analysis cookies are used to improve the quality of our website and its content. Through the analysis cookies, we learn how the website is used and can thus constantly optimise our offer.
The legal basis for the processing of personal data using cookies is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. e DSGVO.
3. Duration of storage, possibility of objection and elimination
Use of WPML translations
We offer users the opportunity to view content in different languages on our website. For this purpose, we use WPML, which places only functional cookies on the users computer. These cookies contain the language selection of the user.
Use of Real Cookie Banner
To manage the cookies and similar technologies used (tracking pixels, web beacons, etc.) and related consents, we use the consent tool “Real Cookie Banner”. Details on how “Real Cookie Banner” works can be found at https://devowl.io/rcb/data-processing/
The legal bases for the processing of personal data in this context are Art. 6 (1) lit. c GDPR and Art. 6 (1) lit. f GDPR. Our legitimate interest is the management of the cookies and similar technologies used and the related consents.
The provision of personal data is neither contractually required nor necessary for the conclusion of a contract. You are not obliged to provide the personal data. If you do not provide the personal data, we will not be able to manage your consents.
Use of YouTube videos
We offer users on our website the opportunity to watch selected videos from YouTube directly on the site. To protect user data, a connection to YouTube is only established and the video started by clicking on a link. Only then is data sent to the provider. If you do not click on the link, no exchange takes place between the user and YouTube. Information about the collection and use of your data by YouTube can be found here: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=de&gl=de
Rights of the data subject
If your personal data is processed, you are a data subject within the meaning of the DSGVO / GDPR and you are entitled to the following rights vis-à-vis the site operator
Right to information
You may request confirmation from the controller as to whether personal data relating to you is being processed by us.
If there is such processing, you can request information from the controller about the following data actually processed and more:
- the purposes for which the personal data are processed;
- the categories of personal data which are processed;
- the recipients or categories of recipients to whom the personal data concerning you have been or will be disclosed;
- the planned duration of the storage of the personal data relating to you or, if specific information on this is not possible, criteria for determining the storage duration;
- the existence of a right to rectify or erase personal data concerning you, a right to have processing restricted by the controller or a right to object to such processing;
- the existence of a right of appeal to a supervisory authority;
- any available information on the origin of the data if the personal data are not collected from the data subject.
You have the right to request information on whether personal data concerning you is transferred to a third country or to an international organisation. In this context, you may request to be informed about the appropriate safeguards pursuant to Art. 46 of the GDPR in connection with the transfer.
Right of rectification
You have a right of rectification and/or completion vis-à-vis the controller if the personal data processed concerning you are inaccurate or incomplete. The controller shall carry out the rectification without undue delay.
Right to restrict processing
You may request the restriction of the processing of personal data concerning you under the following conditions:
- if you contest the accuracy of the personal data concerning you for a period enabling the controller to verify the accuracy of the personal data;
- the processing is unlawful and you refuse to erase the personal data and instead request the restriction of the use of the personal data;
- the controller no longer needs the personal data for the purposes of processing, but you need it for the assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims, or
- if you have objected to the processing pursuant to Art. 21 (1) DSGVO and it has not yet been determined whether the legitimate grounds of the controller outweigh your grounds.
Where the processing of personal data relating to you has been restricted, those data may be processed, with the exception of their storage, only with your consent or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person or for reasons of substantial public interest of the Union or of a Member State.
If the restriction of processing has been restricted in accordance with the above conditions, you will be informed by the controller before the restriction is lifted.
Right to erasure
You may request the controller to erase the personal data concerning you without delay and the controller is obliged to erase this data without delay if one of the following reasons applies:
- The personal data concerning you are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed.
- You revoke your consent on which the processing was based pursuant to Art. 6 (1) a or Art. 9 (2) a DSGVO and there is no other legal basis for the processing.
- You object to the processing pursuant to Art. 21 (1) DSGVO and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing, or you object to the processing pursuant to Art. 21 (2) DSGVO.
- The personal data concerning you has been processed unlawfully.
- The deletion of the personal data concerning you is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation under Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject.
- The personal data concerning you was collected in relation to information society services offered pursuant to Art. 8 (1) DSGVO.
Information to third parties
If the controller has made the personal data concerning you public and is obliged to erase it pursuant to Article 17(1) of the GDPR, it shall take reasonable steps, including technical measures, having regard to the available technology and the cost of implementation, to inform data controllers which process the personal data that you, as the data subject, have requested that they erase all links to, or copies or replications of, that personal data.
The right to erasure does not exist insofar as the processing is necessary
- to exercise the right to freedom of expression and information;
- for compliance with a legal obligation which requires processing under Union or Member State law to which the controller is subject or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller;
- for reasons of public interest in the area of public health pursuant to Art. 9(2)(h) and (i) and Art. 9(3) DSGVO;
- for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes pursuant to Article 89(1) of the GDPR, where the right referred to in Section a) is likely to render impossible or seriously prejudice the achievement of the purposes of such processing, or
- for the assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims.
Obligation to notify in case of correction or deletion
If you have asserted the right to rectification, erasure or restriction of processing against the controller, the controller is obliged to communicate this rectification or erasure of the data or restriction of processing to all recipients to whom the personal data concerning you have been disclosed, unless this proves impossible or involves a disproportionate effort.
You have the right to be informed of these recipients by the controller.
Right to data portability
You have the right to receive the personal data concerning you that you have provided to the controller in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You also have the right to transmit this data to another controller without hindrance from the controller to whom the personal data has been provided, provided that
- the processing is based on consent pursuant to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a DSGVO or Art. 9 para. 2 lit. a DSGVO or on a contract pursuant to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. b DSGVO and
- the processing is carried out with the aid of automated procedures.
In exercising this right, you also have the right to have the personal data concerning you transferred directly from one controller to another controller, insofar as this is technically feasible. This must not affect the freedoms and rights of other persons.
The right to data portability shall not apply to processing of personal data necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
Right of objection
You have the right to object at any time, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of personal data relating to you which is carried out on the basis of Article 6(1)(e) or (f) DSGVO; this also applies to profiling based on these provisions.
The controller shall no longer process the personal data concerning you unless it can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
If the personal data concerning you is processed for the purpose of direct marketing, you have the right to object at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you for the purpose of such marketing; this also applies to profiling, insofar as it is related to such direct marketing.
If you object to processing for direct marketing purposes, the personal data concerning you will no longer be processed for these purposes.
You have the possibility, in connection with the use of information society services, notwithstanding Directive 2002/58/EC, to exercise your right to object by means of automated procedures using technical specifications.
Right to revoke the declaration of consent under data protection law
You have the right to revoke your declaration of consent under data protection law at any time. The revocation of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent until the revocation.
Automated decision in individual cases including profiling
Right to complain to a supervisory authority
Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your residence, place of work or the place of the alleged infringement, if you consider that the processing of personal data concerning you infringes the GDPR.
The supervisory authority to which the complaint has been lodged shall inform the complainant of the status and outcome of the complaint, including the possibility of a judicial remedy under Article 78 GDPR.
The supervisory authority responsible for RUB is the State Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (NRW).